Monday, March 27, 2017

Blog Stage 5: Original Editorial or commentary #1

In my academic profile, I have been to the private school as well as public school. I have seen student's outcomes in private and public schools. My experience in both schools was different, and  I realized how the public school made me more responsible for achieving my goals. But I was deeply saddened after reading the article which informs about the Senate Bill 3, a legislation that would create two public programs subsidizing private school tuition and home schooling expenses.

The first program in the bill, education saving accounts, would give parents online accounts of state money to pay for a private school system. I always wanted public schools to be improved so that most of the student could be able to attend it without any hesitation. Studying in public school was my choice, but I feel sorry for the students who are forced to study in public schools as they can't afford for private school. But the Senate decision is completely opposite than I expected. I think people who can afford private school or homeschool in the first place does not need support from public money. Instead of that, our government should try to fill the gap between private and public school so that student's priority would be "education" not school. 

The second program, tax credit scholarships, allows businesses to receive credits against their insurance premium taxes if they continue to approve scholarship organization. This bill acts as a pure business competition and competition does not work when it comes to education. I have seen public schools have produced some of the most intelligent, innovative leaders in our country. It feels disgusting when I realize how the government is using our tax money. Instead, more funding should be advocated into the public school system and allocating that money equitably. 

This bill will put most of the families in a difficult situation. Instead of passing this bill, a legislature could have put some effort in a real issue such as remodeling school finance system, investing on qualified persons that can actually make a difference in teaching, and providing students a quality education. This bill is segregation process between rich and poor. We want good public education for this country to prosper. 


1 comment:

  1. I did not know this about the government wanting to subsidize private school funds. I went to a charter school for middle and high school. It was smaller than your average public and private school, but it was still a good school. Charter schools have a harder time getting funding for them since they do not receive money from the state or from parents. They rely on donors a lot. In my personal opinion more funding does need to be invested in public schools. Do you think charter schools could maybe be a solution? I feel with the new secretary of education Betsy DeVos things will get worse regarding funds and public schools. I agree with you completely on the second program. I work and have to pay taxes, and it would make me feel better if I knew my taxes would actually help someone who needs it.

    ReplyDelete